Pumpkin spice lattes, riding boots, and Halloween planning aren’t the only things that fall brings into our lives. It also brings us the opportunity to breathe in the crisp autumn air and channel the energy of a new season into creating positive changes in our lives. Here are 20 simple habits you can adopt today for a healthier and happier October!
1. Keeping track of your bank statements, credit card bills, and bank account REGULARLY. Getting your funds together in October and November will set you up for a less shocking (and depressing) December. As an added bonus, start to put away $20 a week in order to make sure that you can manage those holiday credit card bills! You can even use this chart to save $5000 in one year.
2. Putting your phone away when you’re out with your friends. Give them the attention they deserve. You don’t like it when they do it, so save the Instagram scrolls for a bus ride or a pre-sleep stalking session.
3. Adopting the 2/3 rule for TV and exercise. 2 hours of TV = 30 minutes of exercise. Your body will thank you.
4. Asking the human resources department about all the benefits you have that you aren’t using. Who knows, you might just have hundreds of dollars of massage therapy that you aren’t claiming!
5. Giving up an hour on Sunday to prep your meals for the week. You’ll save time, energy, and money throughout the week. Plus, you’re bound to find some delicious recipes that are tastier and healthier than your old fast food go-to.
6. Saying ‘no’ when you aren’t hungry. If you have to snack, try keeping some carrot sticks or baked chickpeas nearby. All the crunch, to last you ‘til lunch.
7. Making it a habit to wear moisturizer with SPF everyday. Just because it’s fall doesn’t mean you can’t get burnt! The winter winds are just a few months away from wreaking havoc on your skin, so build up a nice moisture barrier while you can, too.
8. Investing in good clothing that you’ll wear more than once.
9. Standing up for yourself, whether it’s at work, with friends, or with your significant other.
10. Getting a good night’s rest. EVERY NIGHT.
11. Prioritizing stress management and self-care.
12. Throwing out one thing a day for all 31 days of October. De-clutter your home to help de-clutter your life.
13. Doing mental health checks. Ask yourself: what makes me stressed, what makes me feel better, and who do I need to rely on to help me when I am struggling?
14. Flossing every day. Your mom didn’t drill this lesson into your skull for no reason.
15. Wearing a seatbelt, even in a cab. Although you might feel like celeb status in that smokin’ black dress on the way to the bar, nothing accessorizes it better than that slick silver belt. Oh yeah, now that’s an outfit.
16. Stop hitting snooze. Use those few minutes in the morning to stretch a little, give yourself a pep talk, or anything else that will put an extra bounce in your step.
17. Substituting wine for a diet pop. Those sneaky little alco-calories are killer.
18. Making at least half your weekly coffee at home. You’ll probably end up saving some big bucks, and there is no barista to mess up your order.
21. Avoid the whipped topping and use non-fat milk.
19. Trading in your Twitter feed for a new book. Feed your brain with something that will end up being a lot more riveting anyway.
20. Writing down 3 things a day that you’re grateful for.
Sometimes it can be challenging to overhaul your life. With 20 tips and 31 days to get it all done, you’re bound to be on your way to a healthier and happier October. And even if you only get halfway there, at least you can end the month on a high note, as you rock your adorable Halloween get up!