Goodbyes aren’t easy for anyone. Neither is accepting the fact that some people are just toxic to your life. You owe it to yourself to let go of the negative vibes in your day-to-day and embrace all the wonderful people that surround you and help you be a better you.
Here’s a list of 5 people that it’s time to let go of. Bye Felicia…There’s no room for you in our lives anymore.
- The high-school ‘best friend‘. You’ve made countless efforts to stay in touch with someone who you used be close with, but it’s time to face it; people change and it sucks. You’ll make new friends though – better friends – who put you first and always make time for you. Real friends can be hundreds of miles apart and not see each other for months, but when you find the time to meet up again, it’ll be as if you never left each other’s sides.
- Your first love. This one’s a toughie. The first love is always the most exciting, liberating, and hardest to forget. But accept that in order to progress in new, healthier relationships, you have to get over your past heartbreaks. You’ve grown as a person; so don’t let the past bring you back down from being who you want to be. It’s okay to cherish your experiences, but don’t let good memories stop you from pursuing something that could be great for you.
- The ‘gossip girl’. If they’ll gossip to you, they’ll gossip about you. It’s time to leave the high school drama behind. Some people take longer to figure this out than others, but in case you didn’t already know, people like nice people. You’re at a stage in your life now where how you present yourself socially and in conversation is extremely important. When talking to co-workers, professors, peers and even your family, you want to make sure you’re having valuable conversations…not just talking aimlessly about “OMG did you see how much weight Sarah has gained?”
- The ‘liars and the dirty, dirty cheats of the world’. T-Swift had it right with this one. If people continue to lie to you, or cheat you out; they aren’t worth your time, simple. Except, I know it’s not actually that simple. Sometimes the people who cheat on us or lie to our faces are the ones who mean the absolute most to us and we feel obligated to instantly forgive. I’ve been there, so this is your subtle reminder to stay strong and remember that you’re better off without them. Giving people that push that you don’t want to be a part of their lives, could even be just what they need to get their sh*t together. It’s for the best.
- Those who soak up your time like a sponge. Of course there are those friends that you help bail out time and time again. You do them favor after favor, often without any recognition or thank you. This says great things about your character, but I hope you can appreciate your self-worth as well. It’s a fine line to always give more than you take, but also never be taken advantage of. If there are people in your life that you notice soak up all of your energy like a sponge and are never there to help you in your time of need, say adios amigos! You don’t need that.
You have the potential to be anyone you want to be. You can accomplish so much if you set your goals in the right places. It’s so often overlooked how our surroundings impact the path to these goals, and from first hand experience, I can tell you…it makes all the difference. Surround yourself with positive people, who support you, are willing to help you, share the blame when you lose touch, and make an equal effort to maintain a relationship. Say goodbye to the toxic individuals or groups that don’t benefit you anymore and never feel bad for putting your well-being first.
Featured Image via Pexel.