I couldn’t wait to hit this age because I always thought I would have my life figured out by now. I am turning 23 this month, and there are so many things I still don’t know.
- I don’t know what I want to be when I “grow up,” I thought I did, but now I am all over the map. Do I want to keep writing news? Do I want to be a media officer? Do I want to write a book? Or, maybe, should I be a hairdresser? Will I ever know what I want to do in the long run? Maybe, maybe not. Changing your mind is okay, I just need to see where my life leads me.
- I don’t know how to budget money. Believe me, I try every time I get my pay cheque. But somehow, every time I look at my bank account I’m still shocked with how much money I’ve spent. Why didn’t they teach me this in high school? Like how much money should I spend on clothes, food, and beer a month? Help!!
- I don’t know how to do taxes. I talk about this all the time with my friends. There should have been a Taxes 101 class in high school. This is a REAL life thing everyone needs to learn. Again, help me out, teach me, and let’s get some classes rolling in.
- I don’t know how to love myself. I struggle with this every single day. I want to fall in love with myself so bad. I thought when I hit my twenties, I would finally be content. But no, that is not the case. Maybe we never fully reach a point where we are in love with ourselves, and maybe it’s because we are constantly changing.
- I don’t know where I want to end up. Where do I want to move to? Where should I settle down? How many kids do I want? These questions have different answers every day. I don’t even know what I’m having for dinner tonight.
- I don’t know how to accept not everything is forever. It’s hard for me to think one day my parents won’t be around, one day my best friend’s focus will be her husband’s, or that my dog will die eventually. I won’t be able to run to my hometown every single time I get upset because everything is changing. People are growing up, people are moving away, and people have new priorities.
- I don’t know how to balance relationships. I find it extremely difficult to balance out friendships, family visits, and spending time with my boyfriend. On top of it all, I work full time. This stresses me out all of the time, so if you have any advice comment below.
- I don’t know how to accept change. I mean I do with some things, but when it comes to people changing, it makes me sad. It’s hard when you meet up with an old friend, and realize the two of you don’t have anything in common anymore.
- I don’t know how to get a healthy amount of sleep. Seriously, what is sleep? I want to be able to wake up feeling refreshed, but this never happens to me. So, I think there are a few lessons I need to learn about sleeping.
- I don’t know how to take my own advice. I give my friends advice on a daily basis. Do you think I listen to my OWN advice? No! I can dish it out well, but I can’t take it in. I’m still trying to get the ability to take my own advice!
I know I’m still growing, and changing every day. But, it’s nice to know other twenty-somethings feel this way and realize they are not alone. Let me know what you still haven’t learned (and wish you have)!
Featured image via Christopher Ayme on Unsplash