First came love, then came a super fast engagement and matching tattoos. And then came a huge fallout and a ton of news headlines. It wasn’t a traditional love story by any means for Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson. Though it was one the world will always remember if you were around to witness it.
However, I believe their love story was fabricated in order to gain publicity. I don’t believe their love was entirely genuine; crazy, I know. There are several reasons for me to believe this. And that they just used each other as leverage to gain the public’s interest.
Allow me to go deeper into detail via a brief timeline of their romance and their career moves.
(Please note, I did not mention all the times in between these dates where they were seen at each others performances. Or all over each others socials.
- May 9th, 2018: Ariana confirms she’s split with rapper Mac Miller.
- May 16th, 2018: Pete confirms he and his girlfriend Cazzie David have broken up.
- Followed by, May 20th, 2018: Pete and Ariana attend the Billboard Music Awards together, where they were all over each other backstage.
- And Lastly, May 21st, 2018: It’s confirmed that they are a couple, even though it’s deemed as “casual.”
Keep in mind all of this happened in 12 days.
- May 30th, 2018: They have become serious and got tattoos to represent their relationship. With Davidson, getting the “Dangerous Woman bunny ears” put on his neck.
- June 2nd, 2018: Ariana is photographed wearing an engagement ring.
- June 15th, 2018: Pete confirms the engagement.
- July 5th, 2018: An old joke Pete made about the Manchester bombing that occured at Ariana’s concert resurfaces and she comments about it.
- July 23rd, 2018: Pete deletes his IG and all traces of her from his social media, leaving fans freaking out.
- August 17th, 2018: Ariana Grande’s new album ‘Sweetner’ is released. In addition to a song called ‘Pete Davidson.’ The album becomes the #1 best selling album of 2018 on Billboard and breaks numerous records.
- October 14th, 2018: The engagement has been called off.
- October 31st, 2018: Ariana covers up all of her tattoos related to him during a girls night that was highly documented on social media. (Update: there were a lot.)
- November 1st, 2018: Pete jokes about the breakup on SNL teasers. Ariana then tweets and deletes shady comments about her ex fiance.
- November 3rd, 2018: Ariana famously releases break up anthem, ‘Thank U, Next’. And the internet goes wild over the clap back song.
- November 16th, 2018: The singer continues to drag his name through the mud on social media.
- And lastly, November 30th, 2018: The ‘Thank U, Next’ music video premieres after weeks of building anticipation and suspense.
Also, fans of the singer were violently bullying him online as soon as they broke u. And it escalated even more after the song’s release and newfound success.
December 5th, 2018: Ariana urges fans to stop being mean to him and to spread love for her ex.
As you can see from the dates, all of these dates were eerily close to release or premiere dates for both stars. It’s as if their publicity teams urged them to have quick break ups with their partners. And then went to find the most random people they can who are totally opposite of themselves and enter a whirlwind relationship.
All to get headlines, create drama to promote their careers, and ultimately have a nasty break up to skyrocket their career and to get the public’s interest.
However, while I think the pop star genuinely may have had some feelings throughout this publicity stunt. (but still viewed this situation strictly as professional benefiting) I believe the improv comedy king actually fell in love with her.
On Saturday, December 15th, the SNL star posted a cryptic message to his Instagram page insinuating that he was suicidal. It was also hours before the Saturday Night Live season finale aired. Viewership sky rocketed for the finale. As viewers tuned in to see if Davidson would make an appearance, or if they would address the topic. Low and behold, he appeared very briefly at the very end of the show to introduce musical guests, Mark Ronson and Miley Cyrus. Once the show was done, we didn’t hear a peep from him or about him.
That same day following the cryptic Instagram post, Ariana went down to see Pete. Where he literally said, “thank you, next” to her and refused to see her. Even after she publicly expressed her concern and support.
In my opinion, in a situation where there is a genuinely concerning message that insinuates that someone could be self harming or in a self destructive state, you wouldn’t publicly announce your plan to check on them.
It was as if she was trying to look caring, and was seeking the public’s approval.
In a way she destroyed him. Yet she still wanted satisfaction from the public about how she made an effort to help him. She used his personal downfall as a way to help enhance her career, unapologetic, and without regards to his feelings
I genuinely believe what started out as an opportunity to earn publicity, negatively damaged Pete Davidson. Especially because Ariana’s as successful as she’s ever been, and is continuing to rise.