As we all know, Naya Rivera disappeared at Lake Piru last week. The search for her had everyone wishing she would be found alive. Tragically, today they found a body in Lake Piru after searching since July 8, and it has been identified as Naya Rivera. It’s an immense tragedy, both for her family and fans. Some of her work includes a book titled Sorry Not Sorry: Dreams, Mistakes, and Growing Up published in 2016. What’s more, she famously starred in the television series Glee as Santana Lopez.
As a big Glee fan, her death has saddened me especially due to the unexpected and tragic way that her life has ended — drowning right in front of her four-year-old son. She was an incredibly talented actress. In fact, she won a Screen Actors Guild Award in 2010 for outstanding performance by an ensemble in a comedy series as well as various American Latino Media Arts Awards such as favorite female music artist in 2011 and favorite TV actress-comedy in 2012.
So in honor of Naya Rivera, here are six of her best moments as we remember her beloved life and career.
1. Naya Rivera Hosts the GLAAD Media Awards in San Francisco in 2011.
2. The various songs that she sang to her love interest, Brittany, on Glee.
Such as this awesome rendition of Amy Winehouse’s “Valerie.”
3. Her character’s wedding to her love interest on Glee — which was huge for gay representation.
4. Naya’s appearance on Lip Sync Battle.
5. Naya’s openness about mental health issues such as speaking about her eating disorder.
6. Her awesome fashion sense as well as her jaw-dropping cover shoots.
From the bottom of our hearts, we all hope her family and friends find peace and look back on her great life. I also hope that she knew what an impact she made on those that have watched her work and followed her career. I also hope that her son and ex-husband find healing during this time. Let’s all send our prayers their way. After all, this should have never happened — no matter what.
We also wish the loved ones of Cory Monteith, co-star of Rivera’s in Glee, peace and love after losing his life close to the same date as Rivera in 2013 during these heartbreaking and stressful times.