Heartbreaks are inevitable. They can happen at sixteen or at sixty. They’re all equally excruciating and leave you feeling like your world is ending. The physical and mental pain heartbreak brings is too overwhelming to ignore, and occasionally, it may feel as if your heart is literally ripping into pieces.
To those who think you’ll never get over someone, believe me, you eventually will. Time replaces many memories, even those you swore you’d never forget. I’ve had my fair share of breakups, and what helps me handle the pain is reading quotes that relate to my emotions.
So, if you’re healing from a heartbreak, here are 15 quotes that I hope would provide solace:
1. “God says: The reason some people have turned against you and walked away from you without reason has nothing to do with you. It is because I have removed them from your life because they cannot go where I am taking you next. They will only hinder you in your next level because they have already served their purpose in your life. Let them go and keep moving. Greater is coming.”
2. “When we suffer a loss, a breakup, a painful change in our lives, we need to remember to take all the time we need to heal emotionally. Moving forward and getting back on track with our lives doesn’t take a day. It takes a lot of small steps to allow us to break free from our broken self and move on.”
3. “Take deep breaths occasionally to remind yourself that it is your lungs that are keeping you alive and not the person you’ve managed to snag yourself on. Untie yourself from the last words spoken from their holy lips and realize that some doors are only meant to be exits.”
4. “You don’t want to feel that when a marriage ends, your life is over. You can survive anything. Compared to what other people are surviving out there in the world, this is not so bad, in the grand scheme of things…But shit happens. You joke and say, ‘What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.’”
5. “Hold your head high and your middle finger higher. Let him know what he’s missing.”
6. “If someone breaks your heart, punch them in the face. Seriously, punch them in the face and go get some ice cream.”
7. “Sometimes you need to remind yourself that you were the one who carried you through the heartache. You are the one who sits with the cold body on the shower floor, and picks it up. You are the one who feeds it, who clothes it, who tucks it into bed, and you should be proud of that. Having the strength to take care of yourself when everyone around you is trying to bleed you dry, that is the strongest thing in the universe.”
8. “Your mother did not raise you with a wolf in your chest so you could howl over losing a man.”
9. “I’m not sure what the future holds but I do know that I’m going to be positive and not wake up feeling desperate. As my dad said, ‘Nic, it is what it is. It’s not what it should have been and not what it could have been. It is what it is.’”
10. “If you love someone, set them free. If they come back, it means nobody liked them. Set them free again.”
11. “Until you heal the wounds of your past, you will continue to bleed. You can bandage the bleeding with food, with alcohol, with drugs, with work, with cigarettes, with sex, but eventually, it will all ooze through and stain your life. You must find the strength to open the wounds, stick your hands inside, pull out the core of the pain that is holding you in your past, the memories, and make peace with them.”
12. “If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello.”
13. “Hey, remember that person you thought you couldn’t live without? Well look at you, living and shit.”
14. “God often removes a person from your life for your protection. Think about that before you go running back to them.”
15. “At some point, you have to love yourself enough to let the last chance be the last chance. You can’t keep holding on to what used to be and praying a person’s potential somehow develops into what you thought it would. You can love a person with everything in you, but if the timing isn’t right, it just won’t work. You can’t force it and you shouldn’t have to. The love is still there…It’s just gotta be from a distance now.”
–Rob Hill Sr
Featured image by Caleb Frith via Unsplash.