There is nothing more precious than the gift of life.
There are many reasons that someone donates blood. Some give blood because a friend or family member asked them to, some know someone that’s been saved by a blood donations, and others do it because they believe it’s the right thing to do. No matter the reason, there is no feeling like leaving a blood donor clinic and knowing that someone may live one more day because of your donation.
As you’ve likely seen on the news, Mexico City is still in a state of devastation. The 7.1 magnitude earthquake has already caused serious damages, and experts say that the risk of after quake collapses is extremely high. So far the death toll has climbed to 326 and is expected to rise. As many as 360 buildings are still at risk of collapsing, causing anxiety and fear among the city’s residents. With that being said, hospitals are at risk of distruction, and several patients could go without the proper care they need, as well as risk not having a facility to stay in.
North American blood banks have been at critically low levels for the past few months. In Mexico, only 2.7% of individuals donate blood, compared to almost 100% in Switzerland. With the risk of more deaths in Mexico City creating unease, as well as the shortage of donors and higher risks of destruction, I encourage you to donate blood and save a life!
Last month I reached 10 donations and I’ve got some tips for you to make your first donation as stress free and enjoyable as possible.
- Make sure you drink an extra 16oz of water or non-alcoholic fluid before donating blood. This prevents dizziness when donating, as well as it makes it easier for the nurses to find your vein.
- Ensure that you are consuming enough iron! Good sources of iron include read meat, fish, and leafy green vegetables.
- During the donation, bring something to distract yourself. Although the process is fast, I like to listen to music or read a book to keep myself busy.
- After donating, it’s important to replenish your fluids. Thankfully, there are always tons of drinks and snacks to choose from after donation!
- Take it easy for the rest of the day! Donating is no small feat – you just saved a life! Be proud of yourself and relax.
I hope you consider joining me and register for an upcoming blood donation clinic near you. Although your blood donation may not go to helping those in Mexico City, your selfless act may encourage others in the surrounding area to save a life.
Remember, it’s in you to give.
Featured image via Selena Gomez.