Turning 21 is a huge milestone. You’ve made it this far and we all know there are definitely times of struggle. Your 20s are a period of self-discovery and also a time where you should take advantage of your fleeting youth and do things you might not be able to do when you’re older. Along with experiencing new things in your 20s comes valuable life lessons. You can’t be afraid to put yourself out there and take a few risks. Taking these risks gives us priceless lessons we can apply to the rest of our lives.
- Don’t be a wallflower. You can meet some great people if you give them a chance. You don’t necessarily have to say hi to everyone you see, but just be open to new experiences. So go talk to that cutie over there!
- People will be mean to you. Sometimes for no apparent reason and you just have to be the bigger person and be nice.
- If something doesn’t feel right in a relationship, address it. Don’t let the issue just sit there. It’s not going to make anything better.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. If you don’t ask for help you could end up only hurting yourself by not taking the opportunity to learn and grow.
- Show up to things. Maybe you don’t feel like going to class, work, or that club meeting you have. Trust me, just go! You’ll probably be glad that you went.
- Find genuine friends. Don’t waste your time around people who don’t really care about you. Find people who would do anything for you and stick with them.
- Read and educate yourself. Don’t rely solely on school to teach you things. Educate yourself on different issues!
- Take care of yourself. Shower regularly, get enough sleep, and make time for yourself. You won’t regret it.
- Learn how to cook for yourself. If you’re really bad at cooking, perfect at least one dish so you can impress your future in-laws.
- Don’t go into a career just for money. If you stay in a career you hate for the rest of your life, I can guarantee you the money won’t be worth it.
If you take away just one thing from this article I hope it’s that you take care of yourself. Don’t sacrifice your time for people who aren’t worth it, exercise regularly, and put yourself out there. You have to be a little selfish sometimes and put your needs before others. Your well-being is important. You’re never going to be in your twenties again so might as well live it up while you’re here.