If you know me, you know that I love the 2003 Christmas movie Elf. Once late November rolls around, I kind of become Buddy the Elf himself: all holiday cheer all the time. As soon as I heard about this Buddy The Elf-related holiday, I thought, “Son of a nutcracker! I must partake!”
Where does a weird holiday like this even start? Why, Twitter, of course!
According to the Internet, December 18 is officially “Answer the Telephone Like Buddy the Elf Day.”
Celebrating this momentous occasion is easy! All you need is a smile, cheery voice, and the willingness to ask anyone on the other end of the line, “Buddy the Elf, what’s your favorite color?” You may want to substitute your own name instead of Buddy’s if you don’t want people to feel massively confused, though.
For a bonus helping of Buddy, try out some other memorable lines from “Elf,” too.
Here are a few ideas that are sure to spread Buddy’s festive Christmas spirit:
- As a sign-off, simply say, “And remember, the best way to spread Christmas cheer is by singing loud for all to hear.”
- Work at a restaurant? Ask people if they want a side of maple syrup with their take-out orders pizza, pasta, or anything that you’d never think to put syrup on, really. We all know that maple syrup makes everything more delicious!
- Start singing “Baby It’s Cold Outside,” and see if the person on the other end will join in. Just don’t interrupt anyone who’s just trying to do their business!
- Randomly shout, “It’s Santa! I know him!” Ignore the confused (and probably, slightly offended) looks anyone in earshot will inevitably shoot you.
- Tell the caller, “I love you! I’ll call you in 5 minutes.” Then, follow through, obviously. There’s nothing better than spreading the love (even when it gets a little obnoxious!)
Are you ready to celebrate? Good!
Dress up in your most elven clothes, don your cheeriest smile, and get your “phone voice” ready to spread Christmas cheer by singing loud for all to hear! Now, excuse me, while I eat some spaghetti with maple syrup.