I’m often labeled as a “free spirit.” At first, I wasn’t sure what this label was supposed to mean. It seemed like such a trivial way to categorize such complex beings. I’ve always just been who I am. But some introspection, personality tests here and there, and only a few people NOT dubbing me as such, I told myself…maybe I am.
A girl of storm-winds and thorns, the musk of the wild rose and the flight of the falcon
– Rosamund Hodge
That is what a free-spirited woman is – the slow-burning fire in the hearth, passionate, and undaunted. She is the soul of an eagle trapped in a woman’s body. She is the red umbrella among thousands of black ones, standing out in all her sparkling glory…a walking charm of positivity.
Some associate being a free spirit with a wardrobe of linen smocks and Birks. But it’s more than just that. It requires courage in the face of all odds. It means walking on a path of uncertainty with no one but yourself for support. It is the constant desire and chase of your soul for freedom. To understand more what a free spirit is like, here’s what you should know:
- She dares to dream and makes it happen.
- Adventure is her kind of drug.
- Routine is going to be her death.
- Spontaneity is her strongest suit.
- Planning is her weakness.
- She functions best when left to her own devices.
- But she likes to have you by her side.
- She works on her own timeline and plays by no rules.
- But she delivers – 100%, if not more.
- She is unconventional but does everything with determination, heart and endless passion.
- A free spirit doesn’t judge anyone for their decisions.
- But she doesn’t succumb to other people’s judgment, too.
- She is unafraid to speak her mind.
- But she is also welcoming to anything and everything.
- Because she has an incredible thirst for knowledge.
- And her mind travels a million miles per second.
- She constantly attempts to make sense of the world.
- So she will ask you a lot of questions – random and weird ones.
- Weird does not exist in her dictionary.
- And it’s what you will love about her.
- She will constantly charm you with her ways.
- Including her way of thinking – crooked and a winding maze.
- She may be puzzle to figure out but it doesn’t mean she is lost.
- She is more self-aware than anyone you will ever meet.
- She knows what she wants.
- She does what she loves.
- She stays close to everyone and everything that makes her feel alive.
- A free spirit is in touch with her feelings.
- She can easily empathize.
- She will listen to you like you’re the only person in the world.
- You will be overwhelmed by the attention she can give you.
- She is the best person to go to when the going gets tough.
- She can help you see through the clouds of rain to the rainbow.
- She finds beauty in the ugliest of situations.
- A free spirit likes experiencing things.
- Experience is her badge of honor.
- Experiences is where her money will always go to.
- She doesn’t care for make up and other beauty products.
- She loves her own body.
- But believes that what’s inside is what matters most.
- She does not feel the need to define and justify herself to others.
- She knows being the free spirit that she is is not easy.
- She will not be always understood.
- People will try to change her ways.
- But nothing can stop her.
- And even if you could, you shouldn’t want to.
- Because she is the living, breathing invitation to live life.
- And all you should ever want is to be with her, if not be her.
Free spirits live in a world that is constantly trying to define us and restrain our very essence. Being a free spirit is not always easy. We may not always be understood and we may not always be accepted. We are the ones who are not attempting to be anything. We just simply are and we couldn’t be any happier.
Featured image via Taisa Gabriele