After a long hard day, most people around the world find a glass or two of wine quite helpful and relaxing. Wine has a long relationship with man, dating back to at least 4100 B.C. when the oldest known winery was discovered by archaeologists in 2010 in an American cave. So ever wondered why wine is so popular and has been hanging around for such a long time?
Well, recently many studies have proven some amazing health benefits that it provides. Because of these positive health benefits, wine has earned a badge of ‘healthy’ alcohol and is getting more and more popular with a dramatic increase in its consumption worldwide.
Resveratrol- The key ingredient and a powerful polyphenol found in the skin of red grapes is a great antioxidant and provides multiple health benefits.
Although, wine is no magic bullet for preventing diseases but having it in moderation can have several positive health impacts. However, drinking wine in excess has terrifying side effects and is known to increase the risk of serious health issues. Chronic misuse of alcohol has led to a massive increase in diseases worldwide.
So drinking wine in moderation is not just a great stress reliever but is also good for your body in several ways.
Read on for some amazing health benefits and a guilt-free glass of wine:
- Keeps your heart healthy: Wine, especially Red wine is a rich source of antioxidants, which increases levels of HDL (good cholesterol) and reduces the level of LDL (bad cholesterol). Polyphenols are known to protect the arteries by preventing them from clogging. According to American Heart Association, red wine in moderation prevents coronary disease and keeps the heart healthy.
- Keeps your memory sharp: According to a study published in Science Daily, resveratrol found in wine has a positive effect on the hippocampus, part of the brain that is responsible for memory. It helps prevent the age-related memory deterioration. Its anti-inflammatory properties reduce blood vessel inflammation that has been linked to cognitive decline.
- Helps fight free radicals: Our body is always under attack of free-radicals. Free-radicals can be generated from substances found in the food we eat, the air we breathe and the water we drink. These are unstable molecules that damage the healthy cells and are associated with diseases, such as cancer, atherosclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and many more. The antioxidants present in wine help fight these goons and repair the damage caused by them. Thus, a glass or two of wine can be very beneficial in fighting these radicals.
- It could prevent type-2 diabetes: Drinking wine is linked to a lower risk of diabetes, suggests a study published in the journal Diabetologia. According to this study, people who drank wine in moderation were at the lowest risk for diabetes. The natural compound polyphenol found in wine is found to help the body control its glucose levels. It prevents dangerous crashes or spikes in blood sugar. These polyphenols are also found to prevent many diseases by combating the harmful viruses. However, be sure to drink in moderation as heavy drinking is known to increase the risk of diabetes.
- It enhances the flavor of your favorite food: Last but not least, wine goes extremely well with most foods. It is the most popular drink to be used in food pairings. Red wine and white wine complement different flavored foods. Wine is even suitable for cooking and making some of your favorite desserts. Try this amazing white wine cheesecake recipe here.
Experts suggest 7 glasses a week for women and 14 glasses a week for men, spread out through the days as a healthy limit. So, sit back and relax with your favorite glass of wine and enjoy the sweetness of its benefits. Just be sure to drink responsibly and in moderation.
Cheers to good health!
Featured image via pexels