If there’s one thing I’ve learned after spending nineteen years on this planet it’s that life can get pretty rough and beat you around. The real world can be a scary and challenging place. You can very quickly go from feeling completely fine to ridiculously overwhelmed within minutes. But life doesn’t have to be that way all the time, there are steps you can take to change this.
Here is a list of 19 life tips help make life a little less difficult, ‘cause lord knows we all need that.
- Keep your room clean and your desk clear. Making your bed makes a difference in the long run, especially when walking into your room after a long stressful day. A clear desk to work at helps too, I promise! A clean aesthetic makes for a happier you. A clear room leads to a clear mind. Plus, your bedspread is probably cute so why not show it off?
- Accept that things change and life goes on. Accept what you can’t change in life, and learn to live with it. On the other hand if you don’t like something and you can change it then get to work! It’s that simple.
- Give yourself time to just be. This. Is. Critical. I never thought I deserved time to just relax. I was always going, going, going. But if you give yourself ten minutes to just lay in bed, or curl up in a chair with no tv or music on you will see a difference in your stress level. It’s almost like meditation, I sit there and focus on my breathing and let my mind wander.
- Call your parents/grandparents once a week. It will put a smile on their face to hear from you and know you’re doing well, and it will do the same to you to know you made that difference.
- Make a schedule/to-do list, stick to it, but don’t overload it. This helps me stay on track and remember exactly what I have to do by when, and also it makes me feel really accomplished to simply cross something off said list. But don’t overwhelm yourself with unrealistic goals!
- Set weekly (attainable and realistic) gym goals. Working out gives you endorphins and as well all learned from Elle Woods, endorphins make people happy. The walk back from the gym always makes you feel good about yourself and give you a sense of accomplishment, especially when you are achieving goals.
- Wake up and decide that today will be a good day. If you think it, it will be possible. Put your best foot forward right away and chase after what you want out of the day.
- Eat a salad. Choose fruits and vegetables as snacks. Not only will these boost your energy and immune system, but this will also make you feel better about yourself. Good choices lead to positive energy!
- Always pack your bag the night before. Whether it’s for school, work, or a trip, always pack it the night before. It will make waking up so much easier and your morning will instantly be less hectic. Plus, you might think of something you forgot over night that you wouldn’t have remembered otherwise. Give it a try.
- Ask questions. No one will think you are stupid for them, I promise. Why walk around spending your day confused and frustrated? Walk into your professor’s office, text your friend, call your mom, and ask your questions. Don’t hold back, most of the time people will be happy you asked and are thrilled to explain.
- Say how you feel, bring up your issues, don’t keep them pent up inside. Boxing things up helps no one, it will cause you to most likely be passive aggressive. Instead, bring it up in whatever you think best and just be honest. It will be appreciated down the road.
- Remain positive. Getting yourself all worked up and stressed out won’t help you remain focused or allow you to be productive, instead try to remain positive and focus on the good things instead. As the saying goes, look at the glass as half full.
- Be nicer, compliment people, make someone smile today. It’s contagious, seriously. What goes around comes around.
- Be spontaneous. You’re only young once, embrace that. This is the time of your life to blow off responsibilities for the night to go to a friend’s house and have a bonfire, or to miss a little sleep for a 1 AM Taco Bell run. As long as you’re in class or at work the next morning you’re fine!
- Stop questioning if the people around you care, if they are there, they do. I know for me I’m always concerned and question if I’m a bother, but I’m not, and you aren’t either. If the people around you are there, they want to be there. Let them catch you when you fall and you will see yourself become calmer because of it.
- Surround yourself with people that inspire you and make you happy. People that make you want to work harder and to be a better person. Once you find these people you will see a drastic change in your mood.
- You will feel better if your work is done, so stop procrastinating. Don’t procrastinate, you’ll have to do it eventually so just do it now and get it over with. Once you get it done with you will feel so much better and more relaxed.
- People will come in and out of your life, and that is completely okay. Sometimes relationships aren’t meant to last forever and that’s okay. People come into your life for a reason and they also leave for a reason; it just might not always be immediately apparent to you.
- Love. This one’s just that simple. Love people, love places, love songs, love books…just love.
Adopt these 19 simple tips into your day to day life and I promise you will see a difference. You will feel better about yourself and the world around you. Life isn’t that bad and you can do it. Always remember, today is a new day and you can do whatever you want with it.