Now I know everyone has a different opinion on this topic. I’m going to take a stance somewhat in the middle of this argument. To begin, there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking others for help. Sometimes there are things beyond our knowledge or capabilities and that’s okay. As such, I am sure there are things you can offer to help with in return that others are not capable of.
However, I also do believe that there are a few basic things that all women, hell, maybe even all people should know how to do. Here is my list:
- Use/Own Tools: I’m not talking about being able to run a skid steer. I simply mean owning and being able to use simple tools. If you want to hang a picture, know where your hammer is. If you need to put something together, get your screwdriver. Not to mention things such as pliers, wire cutters, and even a basic drill.
- How To Cook Basics: I mean this in the least sexist way possible, as I also believe that men should have this exact same skill. Being able to feed yourself is pretty much one of the most important skills there is. You don’t need to be a chef, but knowing how to boil water or peel and cut vegetables is an immensely important skill.
- Pay Your Bills: As teenagers, many of us grew up with parents who did a lot of our financial work for us. However, at a certain point in time, it’s important that we all learn for ourselves. Don’t rely on your parents or your future spouse, take initiative and do it yourself. You never know if or when you may no longer have that person in your life to rely on, so it’s important to be prepared and contain those skills.
- Learn To Be Wrong: The more accepting it becomes for women to possess what used to be considered “masculine traits” the more we have also come to possess some of the weaknesses that come alongside those traits. A prime example is that many individuals, regardless of gender, have an ego so large that they are never willing to admit when they are wrong. Learn to pick your battles and to accept when you have lost. No one is always right.
- To Educate Yourself: We all have areas of life that we excel in. However, life is constantly throwing curveballs at us that we know nothing about. Learn how to educate yourself. If it’s a health problem, research solutions and diets to combat it. If you come across what seems like an impossible decision, delve further into possible outcomes. Education prepares you for what’s to come.
- How To Fix Basic Electronics: The definition of basic electronics may vary based on what you own, but so long as you somewhat understand whatever you do own then you’re on the right track! Maybe you have an old school tv and a flip phone, or maybe you have an apple tv, an iPad, an iPhone and six other items. Regardless, calling for tech help once in awhile is okay, but don’t be afraid to learn a little yourself!
No one is asking you to master every skill out there, but it is important to know that in some cases you can rely on yourself. There will be times where you might have to face a long week of problem after problem entirely on your own, and knowing you can face that is important. Next time you ask someone for help, ask them to teach you so you’ll be able to do it on your own. Observe, learn, and memorize for future times!
Life is difficult and often people and things are unreliable. At the exact moment where you feel like things couldn’t get worse, one more thing breaks on you. Prepare yourself for those moments because when they do come, there’s no time for preparation, only action. Lastly, have the confidence that you can get through it on your own! After all, being a woman in no way makes you less capable.
Featured image via weheartit.