National Girl Scout Day is March 12th. Today, we thank Juliette Gordon Low, the Girls Scouts’ founder for being a true champion for women everywhere. And of course, we take pride in all of the lessons we learned in our years of scouting.
Girls Scouts is about so much more than earning badges and selling cookies; it helps girls grow into the best versions of themselves. Girl Scouts learn how to use their voices for the common good. As we grow from Daisies to Ambassadors, we make countless memories that we cherish for our entire lives. We laugh, work together, jump into freezing cold lakes, and roast marshmallows by the campfire.
So, if National Girl Scout Day holds a special place in your heart, here are 10 things you know to be true as a former Girl Scout:
1. You can light a one-match fire like the true badass (read: survivalist) you are.
Let’s be real, you probably still shout “One-match fire!” every time you do it.
2. You can practically carry out a flag ceremony in your sleep.
Girl, I know those early morning flag ceremonies at camp were rough!
3. You’re still jealous of all your friends that could make the hardest gimp lanyards.
If you could only make the basic ones, know that I see you, girl. You deserve an A for effort!
4. You still know at least 25 camp songs.
Let’s be real: “Hermie the Worm” and “Boom Chicka Boom!” were beyond catchy!
5. The “Friendship Circle” is the real deal and will always hold a special place in your heart.
“Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other’s gold.” Such a classic!
6. You still live for Girl Scout Cookie season!
Seriously, can you even call yourself a former Scout if you don’t eat your weight in Girl Scout cookies every cookie season?
7. You can still recite the Girl Scout Promise and the Girl Scout Law from memory.
Those words will probably remain embedded in your mind when you’re 80, and you’re completely OK with that.
8. You still use the “buddy system” wherever you go.
After all, your troop leader drilled “Take a buddy!” into your brain so much that it’s not surprising that you now live by the “safety in numbers” philosophy.
9. Hearing “Scouts Honor” hits you hard.
If you heard someone say “Scout’s Honor”right now, you’d immediately throw up three fingers on your right hand because it’s in your nature.
10. You probably still have all your vests and sashes in storage somewhere.
How could you possibly get rid of your vest after you spent so long earning all those badges? Hold onto that vest forever, girl!
Even though some scouting traditions may sound a bit silly, Girl Scouts shaped me and so many other girls into the women we are today. After all, Juliette Gordon Low once said, “Scouting rises within you and inspires you to put forth your best.” You are a strong, confident, badass Girl Scout for life, so hold your head up high and own it today!
Feature Image via Pexels