Being single is a blessing in a curse. On one hand you can flirt with whoever you meet and there’s no strings attached. On other hand you have no one to go on cute dates with. You can go to weddings all ready to dance with the cute people there. But you usually find yourself sitting at the singles table during every slow dance staring at your phones not making eye contact with each other. The other thing about being single? Is your friends who are in relationships tend to put their two cents, and although we know that their hearts are in the right place, the statements that are said are usually not the best to being saying to someone who’s been single for a pretty long time (especially if they’ve been in a relationship for the past few years)
So, here are some things you should never say to someone who’s been single for along time.
- Oh, you are?…. I’m sorry
I’m mean it’s ok. I don’t need you to be sorry for me,
2. You just don’t put yourself out there enough
And you would know this how?
3. Well, have you tried Tinder or Bumble?
Yes, as a matter of fact I have. And I’m still traumatized by it.
4. You’re still young, there’s nothing to worry about!
I wasn’t worried, but good to know
5. But you’re such a catch!
6. You’re just not looking in the right places
And where exactly are “the right places”?
7. Well, you really don’t strike me as someone who would be in a relationship.
And you don’t strike me as someone who should be giving out relationship advice!
8. I can set you up with my brother/ uncle/ cousin
Gee, thanks! Might as well put an end to the friendship now
9. Stop looking and they’ll come to you!
Haven’t heard that one before!
10. Oh, well guys suck, you’re not missing out on anything
*proceeds to tell you about the AMAZING date they went on the other night*
11. It’s because you’re too quiet
Oh, so because I’m a quiet person and don’t over my life details with every guy I meet that’s why I’m single? GOOD TO KNOW!!
12. Why are you complaining? It’s fun to be single!
Says the person who’s been in a relationship for the past 5 years
13. Maybe you should lower your standards
So you mean date the douchebag that’s interested in me instead of waiting for a guy that will treat me right? That makes sense!
14. But, how are you single?
That’s a really good question!!
We know you’re trying to be helpful and you have our best interests at heart, but unless we ask you for relationship advice or ask you to set us up on a date, please don’t say anything about our relationship and carry on with your day. Because we may be single, but we’ll figure it out.