I turned 30 today – it’s both grim, and satisfying. I still have much to learn; I have yet to master a decent bedtime, nor can I commit to completing a load of laundry in one day (from start to finish). Furthermore, I just do not understand the point of a bed skirt!
However, there are simple lessons I’ve acquired throughout out the past three decades. (yikes!)
- When it comes to makeup, less truly is more.
- My mom is cooler than me.
- Life is too short to fret over the state of my utensil drawer.
- When in doubt, wear black on black – this works for any occasion.
- Time heals heartbreak caused by love, but not heartbreak produced by death.
- Fighting in a relationship is not passion. Passion is when everything they do is sexy and those rose colored glasses never come off.
- I am sometimes needy and I won’t apologize for that.
- Never put a boyfriend above your girlfriends.
- I am not immune to pregnancy – yes, it can happen to you.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions; at work, at school, or simply in your daily life.
- If it doesn’t bring you joy, LET IT GO – people, objects and clothes.
- Instant gratification brought on by shopping – doesn’t last long at all.
- Talk to a professional about your mental health!
- If he’s interested, he’ll absolutely make it clear.
- “Fuck-it” days can totally be self-care days.
- Don’t speed; you’ll still hit red lights and tickets are expensive.
- When we fuck things up, our lives can change in beautiful, unexpected ways.
- Nature will undoubtedly improve my mood.
- Life happens beyond my phone.
- There is nothing quite more exhilarating than falling in love.
- It’s so much easier to park further away than to drive around in circles looking for a closer spot.
- There’s no shame in believing in oneself.
- I can’t handle alcohol and drugs – and that’s alright.
- It may feel like the entire room is watching me – but frankly, everyone is in their own world.
- Don’t be a dick – pick up trash rather than stepping over it.
- My body isn’t owed to anyone.
- Pursue what excites you.
- True love is uncomplicated.
- Beating myself up doesn’t make me try any harder.
- A cheater may not always be a cheater, but don’t stick around to find out. Life’s too short to waste your time on a douchebag.
Although getting older seems like a drag, I suppose it won’t be quite as tragic as I’m anticipating. My roaring twenties are behind me, yet I’m looking forward to what #30andnerdy has to offer; no doubt I’ll learn plenty of lessons while I continue to explore this other side of life.
Featured image via We Heart It