As we embark upon a new year, full of intent to live healthier, stronger, more prosperous lives, the focus tends to be resolving the bigger goals we have for ourselves. These are the ways in which we believe we can achieve happiness- the basis for almost all of our aims is to complete something we feel will enhance our lives for the better.
It’s important however not to ignore the small changes that can be made to tremendous effect. Those little tweaks to life that can make it all the more worthwhile. Here are a few ways to bring positivity to your everyday activities, that will hopefully help you achieve a happier sense of being throughout 2018.
- Start a gratitude journal. Buy a pretty notebook, stash it on your nightstand and write down a few things you are thankful for before you go to sleep. This will help you to end each day with a focus on the positives, regardless of how the day has been overall.
- Live generously. Whether it’s the purchase of an unexpected gift, the offering of a drink or a meal, or just the giving of assistance when it’s needed. Small doses of generosity will be as rewarding for you as they will the recipient!
- Reach out. To old friends and new. Be the one that makes an effort, that extends the hand of friendship despite distance or the passage of time. Reconnect and maintain those links, you never know when you might cross paths again.
- Spend more time outdoors. Take a walk or a bike ride, stop to enjoy the view once in a while. Don’t choose the sofa with a movie every time.
- Put yourself first once a week (at least!). Take a bath, paint your nails, cook your favourite dinner… Self-care is an essential step towards being able to care for others.
- Keep it clean. Having a neat and tidy workspace and home is essential if you want to maintain a clear mind. Don’t let the mess accumulate so far that tidying is a chore. Organise your space once and for all and spend a few minutes each day keeping it that way.
- Make a vision board. Or a similar display of your dreams and ambitions. Keep them in your eyes and thus your mind every day. Take the time to remind yourself of your next steps and keep your progress in check!
- Be creative. Put away your phone and instead draw a picture, write a short story or teach yourself to crochet. Keep all parts of your mind alive.
- Work out. Regularly. Not for weight loss or muscle gain, but just to take care of your body and keep a clear and focused mind.
- Eat well. Don’t calorie count but think about the nutrients and the needs of your body, be sure that you’re giving yourself the fuel you need.
Make 2018 a success not because of just what you have achieved but also because you lived a happy and healthy year. Small changes every day will create big results.
Photo by Kaci Baum on Unsplash