We all know one of the worst things that can happen on a dating app: The conversation goes stale as fast as the new bread you just bought at the store. If you’ve been getting good vibes from someone, you might be scared to let all your cards show too soon. So, what can you say to help change that?
Don’t worry! I have some suggestions:
- You have some great taste in music based on your profile. What have you been listening to lately?
- How do you deal with the Sunday scaries? (Asking for a friend lol)
- So what’s it like working in [their] profession?
- Ugh, I don’t know what to make for dinner tonight. Any suggestions?
- Your dog/cat is so cute! What breed are they?
- So are you more of a beer or wine person?
- I see you’ve read/listened to ___. What did you think of it? (If you’ve read it as well, follow it up with, “I definitely have some thoughts!)
- So what’s the biggest takeaway you’ve had from the past year?
- Did anything interesting happen to you this week?
- What’s the biggest thing you’ve learned about yourself in the past year?
- Since you seem like such a well-seasoned foodie, what are some places you’d recommend in town?
- Alright, what are your go-to “two truths and a lie” choices?
- Are you into outdoor or indoor fitness more?
- What is one misconception people always have about you?
- So are you more of a music or podcast person?
- How did you come up with the idea to start your own business?/What inspired you to go down your career path?
- Since you seem like quite the world traveler from your pics, what was your best trip? Or where would you recommend for anyone to go?
- What are your go-to pizza toppings? This is a very serious question. I don’t take it lightly lol.
And if you’re feeling extra ballsy, here are some other options:
- I was thinking about our conversation earlier and was wondering if you’d like to FaceTime or meet up to get to know each other more in person?
- Let’s spice things up: Do you wanna play truth or dare?
- Can I get your number? I don’t really check this much lol.
- So what are you looking for on [insert app here]?
It’s important to remember that dating apps are here to help us get to know people. Let your curiosity wander and show them your interest. It’s a great way to start a conversation or show them that you are intrigued by them and wish to know them better. Ask how their test or work meeting went. Those are some of the best ways to revive a conversation after they seem to die.
If you’re really stuck, re-address things you’ve already talked about to show you were paying attention. It also shows that you care enough to check in on the subject again even after the conversation fizzled out. Once you manage to get the conversation going again, switch to texting on your phones. It’s easier to message that way than stick to a dating app you both may not use often. And if they aren’t responsive, they aren’t interested — and they’re definitely not worth it. Swipe to the next one!