We all have our favorite movies. You know, the ones that make us cry, or the ones that have us swooning over perfect couples. However, I’ve always been more interested in the words they are saying. I want to know what the characters think. I want them to speak directly to me. It’s kind of a weird thing, but, some movies have come along and filled my need perfectly. Here’s what I’ve learned from the word wisdom in my favorite movies.
1) “If you were happy every day of your life, you wouldn’t be a human. You’d be a game show host.” – Veronica from Heathers.
It’s easy for young adults to fall into the belief that each day has to be perfect. With the constant push to “seize the day” it seems like every day that isn’t filled to the brim is a wasted opportunity. But no one can be on all the time. Sometimes, you just need to take a break and breathe. That’s OK.
2) “It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.” – Finnick Odair from Mockingjay Part 1.
Personally, I find everything about this series to be absolutely perfect, but this quote is so underrated. Now, I’m not saying you should never fall apart. There is value in acknowledging you’re broken, but you have to be prepared to put yourself back together. You don’t have to stay broken.
3) “Don’t let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don’t deserve what you want.” – Patrick Verona from Ten Things I Hate About You.
This movie is filled to the brim with quotable lines. This one has to be my favorite though. I think, in the age of social media, it’s too easy to get caught up comparing yourself to everyone else. It’s such a shame, because at the end of the day, you deserve the world. You deserve everything you want out of life. Let no one tell you otherwise.
4) “I am nothing special. But in one respect I have succeeded as gloriously as anyone who’s ever lived: I’ve loved another with all my heart and soul; and to me, this has always been enough.” – Noah Calhoun from The Notebook.
The world puts so much pressure on us these days. We have to have perfect grades, drive a nice car, and make lots of money. But is that what life is really about? Can’t life be about love? I believe that life is not measured by our superficial successes, but rather how much we love.
5) “Everyone is as miserable as I am. They’re just better at pretending.” – Mona from The Edge of Seventeen.
Sometimes, when things get really bad, it can feel like we are the only ones who feel that way. We don’t take a second to realize that we are not the only ones in the world with problems. You are not alone in your struggle.
6) “That’s why they call them crushes. If they were easy, they’d call ’em something else.” – Jim Baker from Sixteen Candles.
Everyone seems to think crushes are easy, but that’s far from the truth. Crushes aren’t called crushes for no reason. They are called that because they crush you.
7) “Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up.” – Alfred from Batman Begins.
Not only is Batman one of the coolest superhero movies ever, but it also has good messages. If we never fell, we would never get back up. So, if you have fallen, get up. You can do it.
It’s crazy how much we can learn from our favorite movies. There is wisdom waiting to be found everywhere. I hope you love these quotes as much as we do.
Image via The Notebook