We grow up being told that we need to consume dairy products in order to build strong bones and teeth. Advertisers tell us that products such as milk, cheese, and yogurt are filled with nutrients like calcium, vitamin A, D, and protein. However, there has been a lot of focus lately on the negative effects of cow’s milk and dairy products in general. In addition to its supposed nutritional content, it also contains pus, antibiotics, feces, growth hormones, and unnecessary fats and calories.
We are the only species on the planet that consumes another species’ milk, which is meant to turn a small, baby calf into a 1,500-pound cow.
After realizing the horrible impact dairy can have on the human body as well as the animal cruelty involved in the dairy industry, I have not consumed any dairy in 3 months. Since removing dairy from my diet I have noticed immense changes in my body, as well as overall happiness.
1. My skin has improved: The hormones found in milk can cause an imbalance in the hormones in your body causing you to break out. After cutting out dairy, my skin improved within 2 weeks. I barely have any breakouts, unless it’s my time of the month, and my skin overall looks more vibrant.
2. I’ve lost weight: My digestion has significantly improved which has reduced my bloating and also helped contribute to my weight loss. The fats, antibiotics, and hormones found in milk all contribute to excess weight gain. And since ditching the stuff, I lost some extra pounds and I no longer feel extremely bloated after eating.
3. I eat healthier: So you want to give up dairy but aren’t sure what you can replace your favorite foods with? No problem! Nowadays there are so many alternatives to cow’s milk that giving up dairy products is much easier. Instead of putting milk in my cereal I put vanilla almond milk, which tastes so sweet; I feel like I’m eating dessert for breakfast. There’s also coconut milk, soy milk, and many others alternatives. If you’re worried about what you can eat, Pinterest has a bunch of amazing dairy-free recipes and the majority of them are plant based, so the food you’re consuming is much healthier!
4. I’m less tired: The excess fat, cholesterol, and hormones found in milk can leave you feeling tired and sluggish. Since eliminating dairy I feel more vibrant and energetic. I no longer get that mid-day slump around 2 or 3 in the afternoon.
5. I’m proud of myself: Not only am I proud for sticking to my goal, but it also brings me so much happiness knowing I am no longer contributing to the suffering of the innocent animals that are subjected to the dairy and farming industry. Not only have I rid my diet of dairy products but I have also removed all animal products from my life and I can honestly say it makes you feel so much better knowing that you are making a difference.
If you don’t want to do it for the animals benefits or your health benefits, then consider ditching the dairy for the physical benefits. Yes, there are times when it’s hard to say no to things like cheese or butter, like when my roommates order a pizza after a night out, or when there is a wheel of brie in our fridge taunting me. But despite this, I don’t regret my decision to stop consuming dairy products.
Even if you don’t think you can commit to ridding yourself of dairy entirely, you are bound to see improvements in your physical and mental health by limiting your dairy consumption. It is important that we become more conscious consumers and understand the impact of what we are putting into our bodies. So if you’ve ever considered ditching dairy, I definitely encourage you to try it out!