It’s a beautiful day! After all, today is the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year. But today is also a very special day for me and my vertically challenged peers, as today is also Short Girl Appreciation Day.
A few years ago, I was in Target purchasing a gift for my kid and I asked someone to help me reach the item from the top shelf. No, this was no hero in red, but simply a very tall fellow customer.
So, from my vantage point of exactly 5’0”, I have the perfect perspective to help you appreciate the tiny ladies in your life! Below, you’ll find some fun facts, trivia, and tips on how to handle this fun-sized crowd.
- A major study revealed that for every additional four inches in height, the risk for cancer increases by 20%.
- Taller people are more likely to develop deep vein thrombosis (DVT).
- Short people are more likely to live longer.
- Researchers discovered that those under 5’2” are less likely to develop a hip fracture.
Dating a shortie? A few things to know!
- Everything we do is adorable. This is a proven and very scientific fact.
- Our hugs are literal perfection. The Borg of Star Trek lore has absolutely nothing on the perfectness of our arms around you.
- Just in time for the holiday season, you can hide our gifts with ease! Just put them on the top shelf.
- We still stand on chairs more often than sitting on them. We have things to reach too!
- Do not pick us up. We will bite you.
- We will happily massage your neck after you’ve been straining to give us kisses.
- Don’t put anything we use on the top shelf. Seriously. This is a rude move.
Furthermore, social Media had lots to contribute to the celebration of the day:
And finally, we are far from alone in our tiny might. There are plenty of A-listers who manage to slay while under 5’4″, hence they are members of our short girl club.
Though Kristin Chenowith clocks in at 4 feet and 11 inches, she packs enough vocal firepower to be wickedly perfect.
Carrie Underwood is 5′ 3”. Moreover, here’s a little known fact: Jesus had to take the wheel because Carrie probably had issues reaching the pedals.
Kristen Bell is 5′ 1”. Hence, this specific height is definitely The Good Place!
Imagine my poker face when I discovered that Lady Gaga is 5’1″ not Five Foot Two as her Netflix documentaries claims. We’ve all exagerated our uh, assets, before. Happens to the best of us!
Speaking of assets, to ring it all in, the Queen of Country, Miss Dolly Parton herself, is only 5 foot tall. It might be short, but I’m sure it gave Jolene a run for her money.
Now, you have everything you need to know to truly celebrate Short Girl Appreciation Day and all the short people in your life as well. Just remember not to rest your arm on our head.