We all know those mid-morning or late night cravings. One second you think you’re doing phenomenal and eating celery and the next you’re shoving your face with ice cream or three-quarters of the way through a bag of chips. Maybe you end up feeling guilty afterward or perhaps you just continue on and finish the snacks. Either way, you end up thinking poorly of yourself and your self-control.
Cravings make us human and that’s okay. We all get them and we all succumb to them occasionally. However, there are some ways to help combat this! One of the best options being finding snacks that help satisfy those cravings but that still somehow manage to be healthier options.
Here are a few recipes I’ve grown to love:
- Lentil Salsa:
- Add 1 can of corn, 1 can of six bean medley, 1 red pepper, 1 orange pepper, 1 yellow pepper, 1 red onion, and a generous amount of Russian salad dressing. Mix together and serve!
- Nestle Real Dairy Greek Frozen Yogurt:
- Lemon Meringue is my favorite, but there are other options too! If you’re like me and crave ice cream all summer long, check out some of the awesome and healthier frozen yogurt options. This one is by far one of the best that I’ve found!
- Homemade Milkshakes:
- When in doubt, this deliciously sweet option will promise to crush your cravings. The only trick is finding a healthier recipe, so here it is!
- Add plain greek yogurt, milk (skim or regular), a frozen banana, honey, cocoa powder and peanut butter (natural or regular) and you’re all set!
- Yogurt & Fruit (and even a little granola if you’re starving!):
- If you haven’t discovered it yet, check out Activia’s Strawberry Rhubarb yogurt, throw in a banana or some berries and it’s bound to help quench your sweet tooth!
- Apple Slices & Peanut Butter (or Nutella if you’re craving chocolate):
- There is something about that crunch mixed with the sweetness of peanut butter or Nutella that just goes perfectly together. It’s healthy, filling and super easy to make!
- Garden Veggie Straws:
- I’m sure I’m not the first person to discover this amazing snack option, but just in case anyone hasn’t come across it yet, here it is! They now have multiple flavors and are even gluten-free!
We all love snacks, and if you say you don’t, I honestly won’t believe you. Why not have the best of both worlds and get to snack and also feel good about yourself simultaneously? Check out these recipes or come up with some of your own! Your body will thank you later.
Not only will your body thank you, but so will your mind. The weight guilt or self-loathing can cause is immense. Taking care of yourself shouldn’t mean becoming inhumanly strict. It simply means finding a middle ground, and these recipes are just the tip of the iceberg. Find your healthy weakness and you might just discover your strength.