College can be daunting. The work can be as tough as a b*tch. The professors might be useless. You may not always love the people sharing your classroom. You may realize you chose the wrong major. Some boys can be jerks and some girls you get stuck with may simply be the product of another Mean Girls’ sequel.
There are dozens of stories, all indicating why college is the best four years of your life. The endless parties, lifelong friends, and the prospects of a bright, rich future awaiting all of us at the finish line. But no one dares to dig deeper, into a reality that may not be all rainbows and sunshine. No matter which major you choose, it’s no secret that your journey through it all is no easy ride.
Because we all know the workload can become too much and heartbreak never helps you to get through your finals week. Friends who turn out not to be friends at all don’t do you any justice, along with an endless to-do list each college student has to face every day.
Trust me, I’ve been there. But I never gave up. And neither will you.
So, if you ever feel lost, overwhelmed, or alone in your journey to success, I want you to remember this:
- Your GPA won’t mean a damn in ten years.
- You have the right to cry when times get tough.
- Pulling all-nighters won’t do your brain, nor your skin any good.
- Always ask questions.
- If you can’t change the situation, change your state of mind.
- Your bad choice will end up being your best lessons.
- You are destined for greatness.
- People are proud of you.
- You’re allowed to be different than your family.
- Having crazy ideas doesn’t make you crazy, it makes you great.
- What others cannot give you, you must give to yourself.
- Know your worth.
- You can achieve anything you want in life.
- Be Strong.
- Be Kind.
- Be yourself.
- Laugh as often as you can (it burns calories).
- Don’t ever hurt yourself, because you’re all you have.
- Speak loudly, you only have one voice. Use it wisely!
- The color of your skin does not define you.
- You can be anything you want to be.
- You are allowed to fail.
- Don’t ever apologize for your success.
- You are worthy of love.
- And most importantly, allow yourself to love back.
Whisper these twenty-five lessons when life gets a little too hard. Think of these lessons as your guidance. Think of them anytime, anywhere. Because believe me, you are never alone in your struggles.
Remember that when it feels like college has thrown you to the wolves:
you come back leading the pack.