There’s a new bohemian jewelry trend happening with surprisingly historic roots: semi-precious stone jewelry. In ancient Egypt, women (and men) would wear jewelry with unique gemstones to represent status of power, wealth, and spirituality. Crystals such as turquoise, amethyst, onyx, and colored quartz are once again being incorporated into rings, bracelets, necklaces, and other body jewelry. Not only does gemstone jewelry add a great earthy embellishment to your everyday outfits, but it can also represent you on a more personable, and as the Egyptians believed, spiritual level.
Gemstones are frequently correlated with the meanings behind the seven chakras. You may be wondering, what exactly is a chakra? In short, a chakra is believed to be an energy point that is part of your spiritual self. The chakras include the root, sacral, solar plexus, heart, throat, third eye, and crown chakra. Check out this list of the chakras and their metaphysical representations:
- Root Chakra: Survival needs
- Sacral Chakra: Exploration, creativity, and expression of one’s self
- Solar Plexus Chakra: Self identity and personal empowerment
- Heart Chakra: Personal and relational development, also source of love
- Throat Chakra: Expression and communication capabilities
- Third Eye Chakra: Source of personal knowledge, intuition, and perspective
- Crown Chakra: Powerful spiritual inspiration
Each chakra is represented by a color, and most gemstones associated with a certain chakra are also that color. Symbolic stones are believed to help strengthen aspects of your spirituality that relate to that chakra. Here’s a quick list of the chakra’s and their related crystals:
- Root Chakra: (Red) Red Jasper, Citrine, Smoky Quartz
- Sacral Chakra: (Orange) Orange Carnelian, Orange Calcite, Topaz
- Solar Plexus Chakra: (Yellow) Yellow Tourmaline, Tiger’s Eye, Malachite
- Heart Chakra: (Green or Pink) Rose Quartz, Aventurine, Ruby
- Throat Chakra: (Blue) Blue Obsidian, Turquoise, Aquamarine
- Third Eye Chakra: (Indigo) Sodalite, Kunzite, Azurite
- Crown Chakra: (Purple) Purple Jasper, Lavender Amethyst, Clear Quartz
So how does all this spiritual shenanigans relate back to this cool new jewelry trend? Well, as the ancient Egyptians once did, women are wearing these beautiful stones to enhance their strengths and improve upon their weaknesses. For example, if you identify yourself as having a strong creative mind, a cute gemstone to represent yourself would be topaz, signifying the sacral chakra, which is also known for being an inventive energy point. In contrary, if you are looking for a chic daily reminder to work on your communication skills, perhaps find a cute turquoise necklace relating to the throat chakra.
This freethinker jewelry craze is a great way to be mindful and keep your intentions physically with you throughout the day. In the fast-paced world we have recently and independently been acquainted to as young women, being aware of our individual goals and objectives regularly is imperative. The more conscious we are of ourselves metaphysically, the more grounded we can be through our journeys.
Featured Image via We Heart It.