Spring is (finally) upon us! If you’re a female college student, springtime means four things: day drinking, tanning, sun dresses and those few hit songs you can’t help but dance to when you hear them come on. What’s one of my favorite things about springtime? I am FINALLY able to roll my windows down and go on drives while singing along to the new songs that came out just in time for spring!
Below I will give you some of my best insight on what songs you should be listening to this spring. Whether you’re partying, driving or working out, these ten tracks will help make spring all the more enjoyable.
Side note: I have a strong liking towards hip-hop, rap and R&B music with the occasional country selection – so my list leans more toward those genres. With that said, I still encourage you to check them out even if you tend to listen to other genres because you may surprise yourself and find your new favorite song!
- “Can’t Trust Thots” by Wash ft. French Montana: Don’t be turned off by the semi-ridiculous name. This song is an absolute jam. You can’t help but dance the second the song comes on. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDDVE2l0sPw]
- “She Wildin’” by Fabolous ft. Chris Brown: Although I discovered this song over this past winter break, it has yet to get old. I introduced it and played it in my hockey locker room in January and my whole team has been obsessed with it ever since. This song is catchy with good,( yet slightly dirty), lyrics that will make it relevant way past the spring. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=715JMMTtcsU]
- “Ayo” by Chris Brown & Tyga: This single is off Chris Brown and Tyga’s collaborated album, “Fan of a Fan 2”, which was released a few weeks ago. This is just one of many fun, upbeat songs from the album that is perfect for springtime and all of its festivities. (Other good, fun songs to look into from that album are “Bitches N Marijuana” and “Nothin’ Like Me.”) [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCrSN9oXgQ]
- “Energy” by Drake: Just as the title explains, this song is full of just that…energy. It’s a classic song by Drizzy Drake rapping through verse after verse with a high energy hook. This song is good to listen to because it has the ability to pump you up for anything with little effort. This track is off his new album titled “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late.” (Also recommended with a similar sound: “Know Yourself.”) [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZIc8EMv_CA]
- “Preach” by Drake ft. PARTYNEXTDOOR: Yet another song from Drake’s new album mentioned above. Although, it follows his slower, more emotional trademark style that people have embraced and grown to love. This song isn’t as high tempo as the previous track but is a great song to drive, relax and just chill to. (Also recommended with a similar sound: “Company,” “Jungle” and “Wednesday Night.”) [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAfpHYvzeSc]
- “Just Getting Started” by Jason Aldean: A quick change of gears brings me to a country hit that is a great listen for any occasion. I know especially as we enter day drinking season, country is usually the genre of choice for my friends and I, and this is an essential song to have on your playlist as the weather heats up. Put it on while surrounded by all of your friends just enjoying yourselves outside.
- “Trap Queen Remix” by Fetty Wap ft. French Montana & Fabolous: I know basically the whole world knows this single at this point, BUT I’d like to introduce you all to the remix. This track is complete with two new verses combined with the same chorus that we’ve all grown to love. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvR5vFuF_F8]
- “I See You” by Luke Bryan: From the beat to the lyrics, it all screams “springtime.” The song itself is about getting over someone, moving on and how hard it can be to do so. “I look around for someone new, but I see you..Jumpin’ up there with the band…Takin’ me by the hand.” This track is bittersweet–although a time in your life is ending, it’s still important to appreciate and reminisce the good memories while also celebrating life and looking forward to all that is to come. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLmNaCgjkYQ]
- “You and Your Friends” by Wiz Khalifa ft. Ty Dolla $ign & Snoop Dogg: There’s no better way to describe this song other than just plain catchy. Once you start listening to it, you won’t be able to get it out of your head. The ideal time to put this song on? When you want to drink and party. This is a song for the weekend that everyone can enjoy and jam to. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw3khjPvTPw]
- “Favorite” by Nicki Minaj ft. Jeremih: This track is a little bit slower pace compared to some of the others on the list however sometimes thats necessary. This is a hip-hop love song, so it is still upbeat with a pinch of romance. This can satisfy a variety of listeners taste who want a light yet feel-good listen. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzLf3styaaE]
- “Where Are Ü Now“ by Skrillex and Diplo ft. Justin Bieber: This doesn’t sound like your “classic EDM song.” It has a lot of lyrics to match the beat and Justin Bieber’s slow and soothing voice gives the song a chill, relaxing vibe. It’s the perfect mix between R&B and EDM that’s pleasing to all.
No matter what you’ve got planned for this spring, all of these songs are guaranteed to fit your mood. Whether you’re spending the season at the beach, in classes or at work living for the sun-filled weekends, this is a playlist is perfect for a sunny day or exciting night- just press play.
Featured image via Tumblr