There is nowhere to run and nowhere to hide, cold and flu season is hitting hard this year and we are all starting to fall victim to it. The main problem – Doctors say that the flu shot they put out there this year isn’t working to combat the infection. It is only 30% effective against this strain of the flu that is going around this year and it is taking down everyone in its path. While it might seem like there isn’t a lot you can do to prevent the flu from happening, there are some tricks that can help keep your body in tip, top shape to ward off that nasty bug.
Here are a few things that you can do to prevent getting sick this season:
- Load up on your vitamins! Whether it be drinking your orange juice, taking your vitamins, or simply locating the Vitamin C anywhere you can find it, make sure that your body is ready! It is important to make sure that you body is loaded up on all the vitamins that it needs to fight off anything that might be heading your way.
- Put your booze in storage. While we all may love the booze, your body doesn’t. Studies have shown that alcohol impairs your sleeping schedule, lowers your immune system, as well as dehydrating the body. There are rumors that some whiskeys help with the fight against the common cold, that isn’t the case for all, so it is best to just take some time away from it and let your body enjoy being sober.
- Sleep! The only way that you body is able to fully fight off a virus is by getting a full eight hours of sleep or more. When you throw off your sleep schedule, your immune system weakens and it makes you more susceptible to fighting off infection. Sleep restores the body and gives time for it to fight off that infection that is trying to take over, so make sure you are getting enough ZZZs.
- Emergen-C. I wish I would have invested some money in the company, because it is seriously life changing. You know that feeling when you wake up and feel that stuffy nose and scratchy throat coming on? That is the moment that you locate a packet of Emergen-C, pour it into a cup of water and let it do it’s magic! It has all of the vitamins and minerals to fight off the cold virus, as well as clearing your head and making you feel alive again! I’m telling you, I swear by it! FYI – I don’t work for the company or have any affiliation with them, but I would always accept samples if they were willing to send them (Wink wink, nudge nudge).
- Twisting. I know that sounds odd, but for my yogis out there, you know what I mean. By doing twisting yoga poses, you are riding the body of toxins. Like cracking your back, a simple twist to the stomach can release some of the toxins that you body is holding on to and help your immune system to stay in tip, top shape for whatever winter is about to throw at us.
While this season may be hitting hard with the cold and the flu, you don’t have to let it come after you. It is easy to prevent yourself from falling victim if you treat your body with respect and give it the care that it deserves. If you follow these simple tips, you will not only be helping your body to feel good, you will be preventing everyone around you from getting sick.