I won’t lie to you and say I don’t give a damn about my appearances. I promise, I really do. But the fact of the matter is, when you’re a girl about to dive into her second year of college, there’s only so much time you can dedicate to self-grooming. And let’s be honest, sleep is precious; so I know I’m not alone when I say I refuse to wake up any earlier than I absolutely have to. As far as dressing goes, I can say with certainty that I’m best dressed during the first week of school. But of course, it just goes downhill from there. I start waking up later and later and have mastered the art of rolling out of bed and getting to class in ten minutes flat. From looking like a well put together student, I start looking like I haven’t slept for two eternities.
Somewhere along the line, it became necessary for me to start giving at least a little bit of a sh*t about my appearances. And hence, you are now reading my splendid guide on how you can make lazy look good.
1. Bun it Up: Let’s start with the basics. Most girls rock the messy bun look and emit an air of sophistication. (Ps- If there’s some kind of a trick you have to getting the cute look rather than a half-dead zombie look, please let me know – I haven’t figured it out yet.) If you can do it, use it! Grunge is in, anyway.
2. Tie it Back: I love tying my hair up in loose ponytails or even braiding it before school. It keeps the messy look intact while still keeping your hair out of your eyes!
3. Leggings are Lifesavers: As most of you probably are, I attend classes five days a week; and most days, lectures start at 8:30 A.M. and continue through till about 6:30 P.M. That’s a good ten hours per day that I’m spending just taking notes in class/with my head buried in the books. I want to spend my day in something comfortable and something I don’t feel self-conscious wearing. I personally thrive off of loose tees and leggings. They’re great for all-day wear and make a killer combo with almost any top!
4. Makeup Essentials: I’ve never been one to indulge in too much make-up. Simple, naturalistic makeup is longer lasting and of course, less time consuming. In the mornings when I’m running like the proverbial headless chicken, I prefer to save myself some time and usually opt for a dab of concealer and powder and a touch of lip gloss.
5. Strut your Stuff (in comfy shoes): I’m not sure whether this is or was a trend, but I’ve recently fallen in love with canvas sneakers. Being a combination of sneakers and flats, they’re perfect to wear most times during the year and look fantastic when paired with those leggings!
I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not exactly a fashion expert. And though I may not have much experience with fashion, I can say this much: Confidence is possibly the most attractive look of all. Yes, I care about what people think. But I care MORE about my comfort and what I feel HAPPY wearing. It doesn’t matter what you wear. What matters is how you wear it. Be comfortable in whatever you wear. Most of all, stop worrying so much about how others see you. Worry about how you see yourself. If you think you’re beautiful, the world will think so too – no matter what you wear!
Featured Image via Sam Klegerman